Are you a metal detectorist who wants to venture into underwater treasure hunting? You need the best underwater metal detector that can withstand water and provide effective detecting services.
There are dozens of waterproof metal detectors that you can find on the market, making it hard to pick the best. Luckily, we have a list of the top ten underwater metal detectors for 2021.
These are products with improved sensitivity to allow precise locating of treasure and can detect jewelry, coins, and gold. They are the right metal detector for improving your underwater hunting or even if you want to venture into that area.
Top 10 Best Underwater Metal Detector (Reviews)
The underwater metal detectors in this review are of high-quality, pocket-friendly, and provides customer satisfaction. Go through the list, and you might find a product that meets your needs.
1. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
The AT Pro by Garrett is a Very Low Frequency (VLF) model that was designed to detect most treasures, including coins, jewel, and gold. It uses four double-A batteries, so we would recommend you get a rechargeable cell to save money.
But what features should you expect to get from the Garret AT Pro? They include:
All Terrains Product
The letters AT standards for “ALL Terrains.” That means you should expect it to be a submersible metal detector that you can use underwater and on dry land.
The All Terrains’ ability is also made possible by the fact that the machine is made of durable material. You can hunt at your local park, desert, beach, or underwater with peace of mind.
It is a waterproof machine that you can submerse to about 10 feet while looking for treasures. That makes it the right device for hunting in lakes, sea, rivers, and creeks.
However, you should note that the AT Pro is not the ideal metal detector for diving.
Settings and Features
The AT Pro comes with a 15kHz operating frequency. It is a higher frequency when you compare it with most VLF metal detectors in its price range.
There are several benefits of this frequency as the machine can detect small targets and offer precise location.
Pro Mode Audio
The metal detector comes with two audio modes, which are Standard and Pro. The standard mode makes it the right product for beginners.
Pro mode helps to provide information about the treasure composition and depth.
- Digital Target ID: Scale 0-99
- Search Coil: DD Search Coil
- Iron Discrimination: 40 Segments for Discrimination
- Notch Discrimination: 12 Segments
- Ground Balance: Automatic and Manual
- Pinpointing Mode: Built-in Pinpointing Mode
- Control Panel: Easy to Use
- Weight: 3.02 Pounds
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Measurements: 22 x 11 x 5 inches
- Auto and manual ground balance
- Iron audio discrimination
- Fully submersible
- Lightweight design
- Waterproof headphones are not included
2. Fisher 1280X-8 Metal Detector
The 1280x-8 by Fisher is an all-purpose metal detector that allows you to search underwater and is quite affordable. It comes with a collapsible pole that enables further reach.
Many features make the 1280x-8 standout, as seen below:
- Turn on & go operation – submersible up to 250 feet -…
- Adjustable sensitivity control – audio and visual…
- 8” and 10” coil options – up to 75+ hours of…
It has a rugged housing that makes it the right metal detector for use in various places, like the beach, dry land, and underwater. You can submerge the machine up to 250 feet in the sea, lake, or other water bodies.
Very Easy to Use
The 1280x-8 is one of the most comfortable models you can find on the shelves today as you only need to turn it on. It quickly auto-tunes to meet the ground mineralization without your intervention.
Another thing that makes it easy to use is the chest mount or hip mount feature. You can use it to secure the metal detector and give your hands less pressure.
Waterproof Piezo Electric Headphones
They are quality headphones that allow you to dive into the water and hear the signal without environment interference. You can depend on the headphones to prolong the battery life.
Two Search Modes
One thing you should remember is the 1280x-8 is a VLF metal detector that offers two search modes: Slow Motion and VLF-IB. The latter operates at 2.4kHz.
Perfect for Hilly Places
You can remove the control box when detecting in tough places and attach it to a belt clip. That takes the weight from the handle to your waist to minimize arm fatigue.
- 3 Control Knobs: Power/Volume, Discrimination, and Sensitivity
- Battery: 8 Double A Batteries
- Operating Time: 75 Hours
- Product Weight: 6.6 Pounds
- Search Coil: Either 10.5” or 8” Concentric Spider Coil
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Discrimination: VLF Discrimination
- Measurement: 12 x 6 x 21 inches
- Great depth of 250 feet
- Only three control knobs
- Fantastic battery life
- Waterproof headphones
- Single operating frequency
3. Garrett ATX Metal Detector
The Garrett ATX is a leading metal detector that you can start using the moment you take it out of the box. It can provide you with more success when hunting for treasures underwater compared to using other units.
The product is rated as one of the best waterproof metal detector machines out there for the following features:
- ATX with 12″ DD coil
- Land headphones (waterproof headphones sold separately)
- Soft storage/travel case
The product resembles a military quality metal detector with a camouflaging color, except for the logo. It is made to withstand harsh conditions as it gives you a rugged body.
Although its body seems broad, it is a lightweight metal detector that you can use for hours.
The display of Garrett ATX is a simple as you can ever get out there. It provides buttons that you can feel and see without any problem, and there are LED indicators to brighten the screen.
You can select three search coils when using the ATX metal detector, with the 10 x 12 inches DD models being the standard one. The ability to handle multiple coils can ensure that you use the one that meets your needs.
It is one of the best features of this metal detector since you get the freedom to take it anywhere. You can look for precious metals underwater, at the beach, on dry land, and in other places.
- Waterproof Design: Submersible Up to 10 Feet
- Sensitivity Settings: 13 Settings
- Discrimination: 25 Discrimination Modes
- Detection Frequency: 730 Pulses Per Second
- Battery Life: Up to 10 Hours
- Modes of Operation: Non-Motion and Motion Modes
- Audio: Up to 25 Audio Settings
- Ground Balance: Yes
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Weight: 14.6 Pounds
- Measurements: 23.2 x 17.4 x 5.9 inches
- Provides accurate pinpointing
- Uses the Pulse Indication technology
- Easy to use
- Durable metal detector
- A heavy metal detector
4. Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Another metal detector that can allow you to hunt underwater is the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. The machine uses the best Pulse Induction technology to enable you to search for treasures deep in the ground.
Why should you choose the Mark II? Here are some of its significant features:
Pulse Induction Technology
It is a technology that allows for deeper penetration and even let your detector pick the smallest treasures. The product also works well in highly mineralized grounds and places with salt.
Discrete Trash Elimination
PI metal detector often falls short when it comes to discrimination, but that is not the case with Sea Hunter Mark II. It easily discriminates the trash using the Discrete Trash Elimination and Standard Trash Elimination.
That lets you find jewelry, relics, coins, and other small targets in areas with excessive trash.
Submersible Metal Detector
The system offers a waterproof design that allows you to submerge it underwater without worrying about anything. It is a scuba metal detector that you can use to locate the sunken treasure, including gold and coins.
You can dive up to 200 feet, and its control box is completely sealed to prevent water damage. It also comes with a waterproof headphone jack and headphones.
The machine offers adjustable frequencies that operate at 7.5 kHz or 750 Pulse Per Second. You get a total of 22 frequencies that you can change manually to meet your specific sensitivity and depth needs.
- Adjustable Length: 28-52 Inches
- Product Weight: 8.18 Pounds
- Measurement: 26.3 x 12.4 x 4.6 inches
- Circuit Type: PI Technology
- Hip Mount: Yes
- Search Mode: Non-Motion Deepseeking
- Discrimination Modes: Discrete and Standard
- Warranty: 12 Months Warranty
- Waterproof design
- Easy to use
- Can find most treasures
- Uses 8 Double A Batteries
- Only 12 months warranty
5. Fisher CZ21-8 Metal Detector
One waterproof metal detector that you should consider buying is the Fisher CZ21-8 Underwater Metal Detector. You can use this model in saltwater or freshwater of up to 250 feet deep.
- Saltwater or fresh water – submersible up to 250 feet -…
- Touch-button., vco no motion, precise pinpointing -…
- All-metal auto-tune mode – large target alert / faint…
It is an affordable metal detector that provides lots of features like:
Easy to Use
You can easily remove its control housing to allow for hip-mounting or even chest-mount it using the chest harness. That leaves your hand free of the stress that can occur when you hold the metal detector for a long time.
Dual Frequency VLF Machine
The dual-frequency makes it the perfect product for running in saltwater. It is, therefore, the ideal product for finding tungsten, silver, and gold rings in different places.
Three Operation Tones
The metal detector offers three operation tones, including low, medium, and high. You can quickly know the type of treasure you find on the ground when you learn how to distinguish these tones.
No Complicated Setup
You only need to turn a few knobs when using the CZ21-8, and you are ready to go. The feature is ideal for a beginner metal hunter.
Another feature you should note about this metal detector is the variable frequency of 5kHz or 15kHz. The two frequencies let you pick the one that can meet your needs.
That enables you to look for treasures in multiple places like shallow water, beach, and lake.
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Submersible: Up to 200 Feet
- Frequencies: 5kHz and 15kHz
- Weight: 6.6 Pounds
- Measurements: 12 x 6 x 21 inches
- Pinpoint: VCO No-Motion
- Up to 35 hours of operation
- Two operating frequencies
- Lightweight design
- Quality metal detector
- Requires constant battery change – 4 Double A Batteries
6. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter TK4 is a primary water metal detector that can find different types of metals, like silver and gold. It provides you with adjustable height and is made of lightweight material to allow kids to use it. ( You can read best kids metal detector)
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in…
- Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone…
- Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral…
So, is it a metal detector that can help the professional detectorist? Find out here:
The first thing that makes the TK4 a must-have metal detector is its affordability. It is a product that goes for under $100, and yet offers most of the features of the high-end machines.
The metal detector comes with two tones of audio: low and high. You can use these tones when on tone search mode to help eliminate iron signal – the metal detector does not produce a sound.
The low tone shows there are small items like jewelry and nickels, while the high sound says there is brass, silver, and copper. A broken tone means there is trash.
Target Strength Meter
The metal detector comes with an analog system with a needle meter for showing the signal strength. It can give you an idea of the metal buried in the ground, but not the sensitivity.
Three Search Modes
The modes are not metal-specific, but you do get the All Metal Mode of most metal detectors. They mainly play a part when eliminating iron to prevent unwanted digging
Preset Ground Balance
You do not need to worry about ground setting as it comes with a preset ground balance. The metal detector also makes use of a 6.7kHz operating frequency.
- Measurement: 28.25 x 10 x 6.25 inches
- Weight: 3.7 Pounds
- Target ID: Tone
- Number of Tones: 2 Tones
- Ground Balance: Preset
- Search Modes: 3 Modes
- Headphone Jack: ¼-Inch
- An affordable metal detector
- Straightforward to use
- Durable product
- Preset ground balance
- Has basic features
7. Minelab Excalibur II 1000
The best waterproof metal detector reviews can tell you that Minelab Excalibur II 1000 is the best wading, diving, and beach metal detector. You can submerge this machine up to 200 feet to look for treasures underwater.
It comes with lots of great features, as outlined below:
- The unique design of the Minelab Excalibur II allows…
- Thanks to a unique method of ground cancelling never…
- Features: BBS 17 frequency technology (1.5kHz 25.5kHz),…
One great feature is the waterproof nature, as it allows you to find coins, jewelry, and gold deep in the ground. It is a metal detector that works in both fresh and saltwater.
Iron Mask Feature
The feature allows the machine to exclude iron signals when finding treasures. You only hear alerts of valuable metals eve when they are buried deep in the ground.
Multiple Frequency Detector
Searching with this metal detector is like using 17 devices thanks to its 17 frequencies. It allows you to set between 1.5kHz to 25.5kHz operating frequencies in intervals of 1.5kHz.
The best part is all the frequencies transmit at once to ensure that you find more silver or gold rings, bracelets, medallions, medals, and necklaces.
Another feature is the DISC control that ensures you choose the kind of treasure you want to hunt. You can set it to find the right metals, ensuring that you get coins and rings faster.
Each metal produces a different kind of tone when you use this metal detector. You can learn how to differentiate the sounds when you use it a couple of times.
Improved NiMH Battery Pack
It uses a rechargeable battery that can save you money over time when you compare it to using double-A cells.
- Weight: 9.75 Pounds
- Measurements: 33.5 x 12 x 5.5 inches
- Warranty: 12 Months
- Operation Time: Up to 12 Hours
- Operating Frequencies: 1.5kHz to 25.5kHz
- Ground Balance: Automatic
- Sensitivity Control: For Optimum Depth
- Low battery alert
- Has a dive shaft
- Perfect for saltwater hunting
- Waterproof design
- An expensive metal detector
8. Nokta Makro Metal Detector
With all the latest features and settings, Nokta Makro Anfibio 14 is among the waterproof metal detectors for sale. It is a product that can allow you to look for treasures at your local park, beach, and underwater.
The product can come in handy when looking for jewelry relics, or coins, and here are its main features.
- 【Two Operation Modes】there are two modes: All Metal…
- 【Waterproof Search Coil】the search coil of our…
- 【Earphone Jack】there is an earphone jack on our…
You can submerse this metal detector when looking for treasures underwater, and it will not get damaged. That is an excellent feature that can allow you to search for lost treasures in the sea.
It allows you to look for these metals up to 16 feet in the water.
The metal detector helps you to save time when looking for treasures as you avoid unnecessary diggings. That translates to extending hunting, leading to finding more treasure.
The 11-inch coil provides you that extra reach you need to find deeply buried treasures. You can rest assured that you find all the metals lying on your path.
Advanced Beach Mode
It is a feature that makes the 14 Coinhunter a stable product when looking for treasures underwater, wet sand, or dry sand.
Extra Underground Function
The feature comes in handy when looking for treasure buried deep in the surface.
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Detection Mode: Vibration and Backlight
- Audio Tones: 5 Tones
- Target ID: Scale 0-99
- Display: Custom LCD
- Operating Frequency: 14kHz
- Battery: Lithium Polymer
- Weight: 6.29 Pounds
- Ground Balance: Manual/Automatic/Tracking
- Search Coil: DD Search Coil
- Measurement: 1 x 1 x 1 Inches
- For all terrains
- Has improved features
- A lightweight model
- Able to find lots of treasures
- Mainly for professionals
9. TTLIFE Underwater Metal Detector
TTLIFE Pulse Induction 750 is a metal detector that you can use to hunt for treasure underwater and on land. It communicates with both the light and vibration when it detects a treasure.
You can count on this machine when looking for treasures. Here are its main features:
- ❤ Underwater Metal Detecting – Detect the exact…
- ❤ Tilt On/Off – The PI-iking750 uses an easy tilt…
- ❤ Target distancing – The pulses of vibration…
Underwater Metal Detecting
It is a metal detector that helps to pinpoint the exact location of the buried metal. That means you can look for treasure in multiple places like on land, in water, or all kinds of soils, including the notorious black sand.
You can quickly know when you find a precious material underwater as it communicates with light and vibration. That is possible due to the PI-iking 759 signals that combine with pulses of flashes and vibration of bright white light.
Easy to Use
One unique feature is the tilt on/off that helps to remove the need for pushing buttons. You should not fret about using the metal detector even if you are a beginner.
The vibration level increases when the metal detector gets near the target to give you the utmost accuracy. That means you do not need to dig unnecessary holes that can make you tired fast. (You can know more about Metal detecting Digging tools)
Low Battery Indicator
There is a low battery sensor that alerts you when the battery is low – that means you get to replace it without wasting time.
- Weight: 1.25 Pounds
- Measurements: 18.25 x 3.9 x 3.9 inches
- Power Usage: 9V
- Frequency: 20.28 kHz
- Detection Depth: 100 Feet
- Detection Range: 3.9 Inches
- Indication Mode: LED Mode; Vibrate Mode
- Waterproof: 30 Meter Depth
- Warranty: 2 Years
- A wide range of application
- For slat and freshwater use
- Offers a high frequency
- Made with durable material
- Some users hate the yellow color
10. Allsun Pro Underwater Metal Detector
There are dozens of treasures underwater that require the use of metal detector waterproof detection coils. That is what you get when you choose the Allsun Pro Underwater Metal Detector.
It is a product with lots of great features as you can find out from this review:
- 【ONLY DETECTION COIL WATERPROOF】Adult Metal…
- 【LCD DISPLAY】Gold finder metal detector, there is a…
- 【WIDELY USE】Pro metal detectorThe Deep Target…
Waterproof Detection Coil
As noted, this is a metal detector that comes with a waterproof detection coil. That allows you to find treasures underwater located up to 20cm deep.
It is a useful machine that can allow you to go beneath the ground to retrieve the treasure.
Another notable feature is the LCD that shows various functions like sensitivity, depth, and mode. You also get a low battery indicator on display.
The display also comes with lights that make it the right metal detector for conducting a night search.
It is the right machine for use by both treasure hunter hobbyists and professionals. You can look for relic without any hassle and get value for money as it is an affordable product.
Use It Anywhere
The metal detector was designed for finding treasures at all places, including dry land and underwater. You can use it to find coins, jewelry, gold, and land mines.
You can read about Best Gold Metal detectors.
Easy to Assemble
The package includes all the hardware that you would need to assemble the metal detector. It also contains brief, clear instructions to help you join it without a hassle.
- Product Measurements: 17 x 12.1 x 5.3 inches
- Product Weight: 4.79 pounds
- Battery: 1.5v Battery
- Ground Balance: Automatic Ground Balance
- Search Mode: All Metal Mode
- Search Coil: Waterproof Coil
- Discrimination: Iron Discrimination
- Display: LCD Display
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Easy to use
- Easy to assemble
- Finds all kinds of metals
- Has an easy LCD
- Can take time to learn how to use
Buying Guide Of Best Underwater Metal Detector
There are lots of factors that can influence your decision when buying a metal detector. Below are some of the vital features:
1. Where You Intend to Use the Detector
You need to know where you intend to use your underwater metal detector before you buy it. These products come in different forms that allow them to be used in various places, as follows:
- Shallow Water: A machine with a waterproof coil is ideal for use in shallow water but should not be submerged. Here you can find a weatherproof or water resistance detector.
- Beaches and Lakes: Here, you need a detector with a waterproof control box and coil. You can submerge it into the water, but only places with shallow depth.
- For Diving: A diving product also comes with a waterproof control box and coil. The only difference is you can dive to deeper depth when using such a product – about 200 Feet – as it has a higher depth rating.
2. Coil Size and Type
The second thing that you should consider is the coil because its size and type can impact the performance. So, what should you know?
- Concentric Coil: It is affordable and can pinpoint the exact position of your target. Such a coil also offers better sensitivity. The only downside is it does not allow for deep searching.
- DD Coil: It is more substantial and can allow deep metal hunting. The coil also functions well in highly mineralized places like saltwater.
- Large Coil: A large coil can cover more ground and find treasures deep in the surface. It might be hard to maneuver underwater.
- Small Coil: It is easier to navigate underwater, and it offers an excellent pinpointing ability. Such a coil also boasts better filtering ability and sensitivity.
3. Other Features
You also need to consider other general features, including:
- User Interface: You can find an analog or digital interface. The digital one comes with buttons and displays while the analog one has knobs.
- Brand: The top brands might be more expensive, but they also provide quality metal detectors for underwater use. Reputable brands also tend to honor the warranty.
- Budget: You can find an underwater metal detector that can meet your budget—the detectors’ price range from under $100 to over $1,000.
- Working Frequency: It is a vital feature because it affects how your product works. Here you need to figure out where you intend to go for underwater hunting, including salty or freshwater.
- Accessories and battery: If you choose a metal detector with a rechargeable battery, choose one that can last longer. It is also advisable to buy a replacement battery. Most of the underwater metal detector uses double-A batteries.
- Target ID: Another thing to keep in mind is how your metal detector will notify you when looking for treasure. The standard ones are beeps, but these are suitable for calm water. You should consider a product with an LED indicator and vibration.
- Aftersales Service and Warranty: There is a possibility of a metal detector arriving with a defect, and that can only mean choosing a device with a warranty. Most comes with a 24 months warranty.
You need to get the right accessories if you want to succeed when looking for treasures underwater. Some tools can make the hunt easier; some you need them immediately while others you can buy later. Here are the most critical ones:
- Waterproof headphones: You should get a pair of waterproof headphones if you intend to go diving into the water. They can allow you to block out noise and hear deep-lying targets.
- A Trowel: It is also advisable to get a spade as it can help you to retrieve the treasure faster.
- Long-handled sand scoop: The tool also comes in handy when retrieving the treasure as it allows for better digging underwater. (Know more about Metal Detecting sand scoop)
- Recovery Bag: You also need a bag to place the treasure when you find it.
- Extra Batteries: You might enjoy a prolonged hunting session if you carry spare batteries for replacing when one gets drained.
Types of Underwater Metal Detector
There are two kinds of underwater detectors that you can use to look for coins, gold, jewelry, and other treasures underwater. These are the Pulse Induction (PI) and the Very Low Frequency (VLF).
PI Underwater Detectors
The PI detectors are the ideal models for saltwater hunting, and you can take them at the beach or scuba diving. That is because they respond well in places with high mineralization, which is common in wet sand.
A PI underwater metal detector also offers excellent sensitivity to reach greater depth and find the most valuable metals. Their only shortcoming is they do not discriminate trash from the real treasure.
You might end up digging a lot of trash, and that leads to wasting energy and time.
VLF Underwater Detectors
They are more affordable compared to the PI metal detectors. The VLF products boast decent sensitivity to coins and jewelry but are not suited for highly mineralized areas.
Therefore, the VLF detectors are not recommended for saltwater hunting – you can use them for freshwater and dry land. One great thing about the VLF units is the ability to discriminate trash to prevent unwanted digging.
Underwater Metal Detector FAQs
The following section helps to answer some questions about underwater metal detectors.
Q: Can I Use an Underwater Metal Detector on Land?
A: Yes. All the metal detectors that are meant for hunting underwater are also suitable for land use. You can easily switch from the wet condition to the dry one.
Q: Where Can I Use an Underwater Metal Detector?
A: Maybe you only intend to use your metal detector along the shoreline and beach, but you can also use it at other places. They include creeks, ponds, lakes, and other water bodies. Some metal detectors are ideal for diving.
Q: Where Can I Buy an Underwater Metal Detector?
A: Most stores that sell metal detectors have dozens of underwater devices – mainly for shallow water. What that means is you need to visit a unique store to find one that can allow diving. These products can also be found in various online stores.
Q: What is the Best Underwater Metal Detector?
A: No one product can be said to be the best for looking for treasures underwater. However, you can always get the one that meets your needs by following the above buying guide.
Q: How Much Does an Underwater Metal Detector Cost?
A: You can find an underwater detector that can meet your budget. The price depends on the quality of the product, its effectiveness, brand, and the features present. Some products go for less than $100; others cost over $1,000.
Q: When is the Right Time to Hunt for Treasures Underwater?
A: Some seasons are ideal for scuba diving treasure hunting, while others are not the right ones. Summer can provide you with the perfect weather to relax while looking for treasure underwater.
You should also keep an eye on the tides to know when they might be low or high.
Our Top Pick: AT Pro Metal Detector by Garrett
The AT is an All Terrains metal detector by Garrett, one of the most reputable brands in the industry today. It allows for metal hunting to underwater as it is waterproof up to 10 feet.
The product was designed for use in saltwater and freshwater thanks to the ground balance. It also comes with a 24 months warranty.
Underwater metal hunting can be fun and rewarding if you have the right machine and tools to do that. That means choosing the best underwater metal detector that can meet your needs.