You want to become a metal detectorist, but you do not know where to start. You can start by getting a metal detector that can enable you to find treasures on different grounds.
But there are hundreds of detectors on the shelves today suited that are suited to different tasks, users, and ages. These include device for beginners and professionals, salt water and sea water, and dry land and underwater machines.
It can become a tall order to choose the one that can meet your specific needs. Luckily, We have reviewed the best metal detectors and compiled a buying guide to help you with the search.
Let us find out what this article is all about, shall we?
- Expert-Level Metal Detectors
- Entry-Level Metal Detectors
- Relic Hunting Metal Detectors
- Gold Nuggets Metal Detectors
- Fresh Water Metal Detectors
- Saltwater Metal Detector
- Kids Metal Detector
Top 12 Best Metal Detector [In-Depth]
We have classified the metal detectors into various categories: For Expert Level, For Entry Level, For Relic Hunting, For Gold, For Fresh Water, For Saltwater Beaches, and For Kids.
Expert-Level Metal Detectors
Experts already know what they want in their metal detectors and are likely to own two or three models. If you do not know what to pick, one device that can provide you with quality service is the XP DEUS.
Expert-level models provide advanced features that can let you find specific kinds of treasures. They also enable you to find metal lying deep in the ground, something most entry-level and intermediate detectors might not allow.
You should expect an expert-level machine to be more expensive, but that is expected when you consider the advanced features. Here is our pick of expert-level metal detector:
1. XP DEUS Metal Detector
XP DEUS is a metal detector that you can either love or hate. It is loaded with features that allow the expert user to enjoy the hunt while putting off the beginners.
That only means it is a 100% expert-level device that you can use to hunt different kinds of treasures worldwide.
XP DEUS Metal Detector Features
- Selectable Frequency: It is a selectable frequency detector with the search coils being the processing center. The machine is made that way to provide better data compared to other models.
- 11-Inch DD x 35 Search Coil: You can only shift the selectable frequency when using the 11-inch DD x 35 Search Coil. These frequencies are 4kHz, 8kHz, 12kHz, 18kHz, and 25kHz.
- Single Frequency VLF Detector: You need to note that the XP DEUS Detector is not a true multi-frequency device. That means you can only use the five frequency one at a time.
- Finds All Treasures: The 4kHz frequency is perfect for finding ferrous and non-ferrous large objects. The 8kHz finds coins and other small-sized treasures on low mineralization, while the 2kHz is ideal for coins of all sizes in medium mineralization. 18kHz and 25kHz are suitable for finding treasures of low and high conductivity like gold, copper, silver, and jewelry.
- Unique 3-Element Design: The design allows you to use the search coil as an independent detector because it comes with a power source and signal processor. You also get the remote control and headphones with separate power sources, and they act as receivers.
- Wireless Communication: XP DEUS is the best metal detector for experts who love the wireless communication technology. It is a setting that allows for adaptability because you can use all of them or ditch the remote control or headphones or both.
- Wired Headphones: The XP DEUS also allows for wired headphones as it offers a 3.5mm audio jack. Also, note that the remote control is the control box or the user interface.
- Simultaneous Charging: You can charge the 3-element of this metal detector at once using the provided USB/3 mini-B cable.
- Wireless headphones with LCD screen and controls for controlling the detector
- ABS transport case for headphones
- Charger and Lithium battery for headphones
- Nine pre-set programs for the LCD remote
- Lithium-ion battery for the LCD remote
- Belt clip for the LCD remote
- 11-inch x 35 Round standard search cool
- Search coil lightweight and waterproof
- Attachment hardware include
- Unique 3-element design
- Selectable frequency
- Wireless headphones
- For relics, jewelry, coins, and gold
- Exclusively for professional detectorists
Entry-Level Metal Detectors
Metal detector reviews leave a grey area when it comes to providing the criteria for defining an entry-level device. Many consider a detector costing under $100 a beginner’s product.
Sadly, if you want a detector that you can hone your detecting skill without much hassle, the cheapest model might not work. What should you consider when picking an entry-level detector?
If you are a novice in this industry and want to hunt gold, you should aim to get a simple detector that is specially made for gold hunting. Such a device can cost you over $700, although it is a beginner’s detector.
If you wish to become a detectorist who find treasures underwater, you should look for a submersible detector with entry features. I know you now understand that entry-level can specialize in various fields.
With that in mind, most beginners are happy to pick a detector going for less than $250. It can detect the coin, is lightweight, and is suitable for various conditions.
Here are our picks of entry-level detectors:
2. Fisher F22 Metal Detector
Fisher F22 is a “switch on and go” metal detector and is recommended for all beginner detectorists looking for an affordable and powerful machine. You can use this device to find relics, jewelry, and coins.
It is an an-all round detector that you can find to be useful when starting your journey in this industry.
Fisher F22 Metal Detector Features
- Weatherproof Detector: F22 is a weatherproof device that can withstand light showers, letting you hunt when it is raining. You can also use the detector to look for treasures in shallow waters, but you should avoid splashing the water on the control box.
- Search Coil: The model comes with an enhanced loop – the 9-inch triangulate elliptical concentric coil. It is waterproof to allow you to hunt in areas with water; you can submerge the coil but not the control box.
- Excellent Pick: It is the perfect metal detector for detecting treasures among trash and iron thanks to the narrower and smaller loop. The coil also enables for easy navigation between playgrounds, rocks, and other tight spaces.
- Four Search Modes: The detector provides you with up to four search options, which are jewelry, coin, artifact, and custom.
- Jewelry and Coin: They both help to eliminate iron targets. The only difference between these two search modes is that the coin setting also gets rid of pull tabs and trash.
- Artifact and Custom: The artifact or relic setting is a non-discrimination mode (it includes even the iron signals). Custom mode enables you to set a personalized pattern using the notch feature.
- LCD Target ID Screen: The screen contains all the indicators, which are Target category ID number, two-digit number target ID, iron indicator, current search mode, target depth indicator, battery level indicator, and menu category icons.
- Target Category ID Numbers: It informs you of the kind of metal you have detected, like copper, silver, or gold.
- Two-Digit Number Target ID: It has a scale of 1-99 and factors in the metal’s size, positioning, and conductivity.
- Iron Indicator: It allows you to eliminate the iron trash signals when finding jewelry, coins, and other treasures.
- Current Search Mode: It allows you to know the set search mode when you want to change the discrimination pattern.
- Target Depth Indicator: It provides you with an estimate of where in the ground, the treasure is resting.
- Battery Level Indicator: You can know the life left in your battery to change them.
- Menu Category Icons: They allow you to adjust the notch, sensitivity, and volume.
- Tones: The metal detector has a base, high, medium, and low tone.
- Iron Audio: It lets you amplify the iron signals to ensure that you do not waste time digging trash.
Read Our Details Review about this model Fisher F22 Metal Detector
- Powered by 2x AA batteries
- Batteries last for up to 30 hours
- Four operation modes
- Fe-Tone adjustable iron audio
- Numerical Target-ID
- Weatherproof metal detector
- Easy to use and lightweight
- Fast recovery speed
- Iron audio
- No manual ground balance feature
3. Garrett ACE 400 Metal Detector
Garrett Ace 400 is an upgraded version of the now terminated Ace 350. It offers new features like cam locks, digital target ID, and adjustable frequency.
The device still ranks as the best metal detector for the money, making it a superb unit for beginners.
Garrett Ace 400 Features
- Digit Target ID: Unlike the Ace 350, the Ace 400 comes with a target ID with a scale of 0-99. It enables you to know the metal you have found, like silver, copper, gold, and iron. The range is quite useful when finding coins.
- Iron Audio: Iron audio is a quality feature to have in an entry-level metal detector. It produces a low, grunting tone when your metal detector finds iron in the ground.
- Saves Time and Energy: The iron audio feature ensures that you save time and energy because you do not have to dig to confirm your target.
- Adjustable Frequency: Ace 400 is a very-low-frequency metal detector with a single frequency of 10kHz. You can vary the frequency slightly to accommodate other hunters.
- Cam Locks: They are simple, flexible locking systems that give your metal detector stability and strength. The locks prevent the 3-piece design from wobbling and provide the shaft with extra security.
- Search Modes: The metal detector boasts up to five search modes, which are Zero Discrimination, Custom, Relics, Jewelry, and Coins. These are factory-set patterns, with the Zero Discrimination allowing you to find treasures without eliminating any signal.
- Search Coil: The detector comes with the Garrett 8.5-inch x 11-inch PROformance DD search coil. It is a waterproof loop that can allow you to find treasures in shallow water.
- Three tones, which are high, medium, and low
- Garrett 8.5-inch x 11-inch search coil cover
- Garrett Ace rain cover
- ClearSound headphones
- Uses 4x AA batteries
- Garrett Ace 400 instruction manual
- 24 months warranty
- New adjustable frequency
- Easy to use
- Comes with a digital target ID
- Powerful yet affordable
- Uses a large DD coil
- Headphones break down
4. Garrett Ace 300 Metal Detector
It can take you days of research to find good metal detectors that can match the Garrett Ace 300. The Ace 300 is an entry-level machine with features of more expensive gadgets and can provide you with value for your money.
Garrett Ace 300 Features
- Five Detection Modes: The detector offers Relic, Coin, Jewelry, Zero-Disc, and Custom modes. All the metal detectors’ search or detection modes work the same – we have already covered them above,
- Digit Target ID: The target ID is a feature that makes the Ace 300 to stand out from other models in its class. It has a scale of 0-99 and provides you with the conductivity of the various targets.
- Iron Discrimination Segments: Although the Ace 300 does not offer the iron audio feature found in Ace 400, it does provide some form of iron masking. It is a setting that allows you to adjust to spot treasures resting among iron, and it has up to four segments.
- Pinpoint: There is no need to buy a handheld pinpointer when you have the Ace 300 because it comes with a built-in electronic pointer. That means you can recover your target fast by knowing its precise location.
- Weatherproof Design: The control box is weatherproof to allow you to find treasure in shallow water or when it is raining. Sadly, that does not allow you to submerge your metal detector underwater.
- Waterproof Coil. One feature that makes it the right detector for hunting in shallow water is the waterproof search coil and shaft.
- Ground Balance: The metal detector has a ground balance that is factory-set. That makes it the ideal model for beginners who want minimal features in their device.
- Adjustable Frequency: You can adjust the detector’s 8kHz frequency to accommodate other detectorists. It also allows you to avoid WiFi and electricity signals.
- Has a submersible search coil
- Included lots of free accessories
- 7-inch x 10-inch search coil cover
- clear sound headphones
- Easy volume control
- Made in the United States
- Large PROformance search coil
- Enhanced iron discrimination
- An ergonomic design
- No iron audio
Metal Detectors for Relic Hunting
What is the best metal detector for relic hunting? The most straightforward answer is you need a sturdy, rugged machine that can handle the beaten path that you might take when looking for artifacts.
Such a machine should provide effective target separation because these treasures are hidden in old buildings and masked with railroad spikes and nails. The high discrimination is a must-have feature because you want to eliminate the audio from iron and detect the valuables.
A good relic hunting machine should spot treasures lying about 12-inch to14-inch in the ground and offer a frequency of 12kHz to 15kHz. You might need to pick a detector that can accommodate different types of loops.
The coils should also bet waterproof because you might need to search for artifacts in wet terrains. It is not unusual to find yourself deep in the wood when looking for relics.
A detector with Zero Discrimination or true All-Metal Mode can make the difference between finding and missing artifacts. Here we have reviewed the top products for relics:
5. Fisher F75 Metal Detector
Fisher F75 is among the most popular metal detectors on the market today and is designed for jewelry, coins, and relics. It is easy to use the gadget and is lightweight enough to allow you to carry it for hours.
Fisher F75 Features
- Design: It is a lightweight metal detector that offers the best ergonomics to enable you to hit the woods for hours. That is possible because of the balanced weight distribution, width adjustment, and armrest.
- Easy to Assemble: Another notable feature is the ease of setting the metal detector. You can achieve that without using any tool, giving you more time to cover more ground and less fixing the device.
- Battery-Powered: Like most products in this review, the Fisher F75 is powered by 4x AA batteries. They can allow you to hunt relics for up to 40 hours.
- Uses Headphones: The machine has a ¼-inch jack that you can use to attach headphones. Note that the package does not include these listening devices.
- 13kHz Operating Frequency: It is a very-low-frequency metal detector that operates at 13kHz, which is within the artifacts range. It can enable you to detect treasures that lower frequency devices can miss without losing depth.
- Numerical Target ID: The detector offers a target ID with a scale of 0-99 that lets you figure out the treasure’s conductivity. That comes in handy to ensure that you dig when you are sure you have found artifacts.
- FeTone Audio: Another notable feature is the FeTone audio, as well as discrimination settings. They allow for more precise guessing to understand when to ignore or dig out the target.
- Target Confidence Indicator: The indicator has six segments that let you know how specific you have found relics, with a full six rating being positive.
- Search Modes: The detector provides three detection modes, which are Motion All Metal, Static All metal, and Discrimination. The latter lets you eliminate foil, pull-tabs, and nail signals.
- Motion and Static All Metal: The motion mode provides more depth and broader coverage and is activated when you are moving. A static setting is recommended for finding large targets lying deep in the ground, and you do not need to be in motion.
Read Our Full Review about this model, click here Fisher F75 metal detector
- Discrimination settings with a level of 0-65
- Provides notch discrimination
- Automatic and manual ground balance
- 11-inch elliptical DD waterproof search coil
- Menu settings for changing the tones
- Sensitivity adjustments
- Mineralization graph
- Digital shielding technology
- Trigger pinpointing mode
- Weatherproof design
- Fast response time
- Adjustable audio pitch
- Mainly for professional detectorists
6. Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab 3720-0002 Equinox 800 has an advanced multi-frequency technology that makes it the best all round metal detector. It is the perfect machine for professional detectorists and is adaptable for all kinds and ground conditions.
You only need to pick your relic or other treasure hunting grounds and start your search.
Equinox 800 Features
- Simultaneous Multi-Frequency: The detector features true intelligent simultaneous multi-frequency that provides maximum performance. It let you find most treasures without any hassle.
- Multiple Operating Frequencies: These include the Multi-Frequency, 5kHz, 10kHz, 15khz, 20kHz, and 40kHz. The 15kHz is suitable for finding relics while the 20khz and 40kHz let you detect gold nuggets.
- Waterproof Design: The device is fully submersible to ensure that you look for artifacts underwater in places like rivers, lakes, streams, and beaches. It gives you the freedom to dive up to 10 feet.
- Lightweight and Sleek: Its sleek and lightweight design allows you to hunt for hours. You can look for relics from morning until evening without getting tired.
- High-Speed Wireless Audio: You can use fast Bluetooth headphones/aptX Low Latency or WM 08 to experience quick wireless audio. The detector also gives you clear sound to ensure that you differentiate the targets.
- Eight Custom Search Profiles: The detector provides you with two custom detection profiles to enable you to save your preferred settings.
- Advanced Settings: The settings allow you to gain more control over your metal detector audio. You can choose the information you listen to when hunting artifacts.
- Accurate Target ID: It makes sure that you detect all valuable treasures lying among the trash. The target ID also boasts fast recovery to give you the freedom to continue hunting.
- Four Detecting Modes: These are Park, Field, Beach, and Gold. The Field Setting is recommended when finding artifacts and other historical things in historical fields.
- User Interface: The interface has a large LCD that makes it possible to see your target with a single glance. It also lets you change the operating frequency and detection modes without a hassle.
- The lightweight design of about 2.96 pounds
- Eight custom search profiles
- Three-year warranty for the detector and 12 months for the battery
- For finding all kinds of treasures
- Allows for up to 10 feet diving
- Waterproof device, coil, and shaft
- Package includes Equinox quick start guide
- High-speed wireless audio
- Simultaneous multi-frequency
- Lightweight and sleek design
- Comes with advanced features
- Quite expensive
Metal Detectors for Gold Prospecting
Finding gold relics and gold jewelry is not the same as finding gold nuggets in hunting grounds. These nuggets are found in different ground conditions with high mineralization.
The standard devices might not do much in these conditions, requiring you to find new metal detectors for gold. But what features should you consider when picking a gold detector?
First, note that these products come in different classes to suit beginners and experienced detectorists. You need a product with a high frequency of about 20kHz to detect the gold in those fields.
Gold prospecting machines are also classified into two different types: Pulse Induction and Very Low-Frequency detectors. The VLF model provides better sensitivity to minerals and gold.
Such a detector should, therefore, contain other features to enable you to discriminate against these minerals. A Pulse model allows for effective search and provides better depth when looking for large nuggets.
Here are two gold prospecting metal detectors:
7. Fisher Gold Bug-2
Fisher Gold Bug-2 combines a high frequency with discrimination to give you a device that can find gold with ease. It uses the most advanced technology to take gold prospecting to the next level.
Fisher Gold Bug-2 Features
- 71 kHz Frequency: It is one of the highest frequencies in the industry, and it provides better sensitivity to deeper and smaller nuggets in mineralized areas.
- Converts to Hip Mount: The hip mount allows you to carry your metal detector for hours without getting tired. That means you enjoy hunting gold thanks to the practical mounting.
- Faint-Target Audio-Boost: It is a feature that enables you to hear all signals to avoid missing the smallest of gold nuggets.
- Dual-Knob: It makes it easy to operate the metal detector because you only adjust the manual and coarse. That makes it an excellent unit for hunters starting in this field of metal detecting.
- Sealed Panel and Speaker: They come sealed to prevent moisture and dust from destroying your metal detector.
- Stereo-Mono Input Jack: You can use headphones to listen to the signals. The ¼-inch input jack is also sealed to prevent dust and moisture from damaging it.
- Metal Loop Connectors: They work with the double-locking, fiberglass-reinforced stem to give you a durable machine. It can take a beating when hunting in rocky places.
- Ground Rejection Circuitry: The feature ensures that you find gold nuggets deep in the ground and in highly mineralized soil.
- Five Year Warranty: The long-term warranty allows you to use your metal detector without worrying. It covers parts and labor.
- 3-Position Toggle Switch: It lets you choose low, normal, and high mineralization settings to meet your needs.
- Unique Search Modes: You get three auto-tune detection modes with two re-tune speeds. They are the perfect setting for finding nuggets on all grounds.
- Search Coil: The 6.5-inch elliptical search coil of the Bug-2 is waterproof to allow hunting in shallow water.
- Dual-knob ground control
- Weighs around 2.9 pounds
- The 6.5-inch waterproof search coil
- Iron Disc for rejecting iron and hot rocks
- Powerful 71kHz operating frequency
- The battery lasts for over 25 hours
- Uses 2x 9V batteries
- Hips or standard mount
- Find small gold nuggets
- No backlight
8. Minelab GPZ 7000 Gold Nugget
Minelab GPZ 7000 is an innovative metal detector that allows for maximum sensitivity and extreme depth reach. You can take your gold prospecting adventure to the next level when you choose this metal detector.
Minelab GPZ 7000 Features
- ZVT Technology: It is among the best rated metal detectors because it can allow you to find gold 40% deeper in the ground thanks to the ZVT tech. The technology is better suited to find small gold nuggets compared to the GPX series.
- Super-D Coil Technology: The coil adds to the detector’s sensitivity to enables you to find treasures in most fields. You can spot gold nuggets that are missed by other gold detectors.
- Precision Ground Balance: The best gold is found in mineralized areas, where most detectors fail. GPZ 7000 comes with precise balance and auto-track that matches even the sever conditions.
- Enhanced Noise Immunity: It is a feature of an outstanding noise cancelation that gives you quiet and smooth detecting. You get up to 256 noise cancel channels to guarantee you less atmospheric noise.
- Simple Menu System: Another feature is the simple menu that groups similar functions in one place to allow easy control. You also find a guide sequence that can help you get started.
- Wireless Audio Freedom: The feature allows you to find the treasure without attaching the headphones to the detector. It comes with the WM 12 Wireless Module that gives you the freedom to use the supplied headphones, your headphones, or the built-in speaker.
- GPS Locating and PC Mapping: You can see your location and update gold nugget find as you look for treasures. It is a tech that enables you to cover more ground and avoid moving over a surface twice.
- Waterproof Coil: The detector comes with a waterproof coil that you can submerge up to 3-feet. It is the right loop for finding treasures in shorelines and rivers.
- Weatherproof Design: One thing to note is the control box is not waterproof, not the ideal one for submerging underwater. However, it lets you search for treasures when it is wet or when it is raining.
- Zero Voltage Transmission or ZVT boosts gold sensitivity
- Super-D smart coil that reduces interference from noise and mineralization
- GPSi to integrate location and detecting data
- Wi-Stream for reliable and quality sound
- Simple user interface
- Advanced technologies
- For professional detectorists
- Made to last for years
- Quite expensive
Metal Detectors for Fresh Water
Many detectorists visit the salty beaches to look for treasure, but not the shorelines of freshwater. You can have more luck detecting at a stream, river, creek, or lake when you consider it is often unexploited.
There are also hundreds of coins and jewelry in freshwater areas. And one thing that makes it exciting to look for treasure in these waters is the lack of minerals found in saltwater.
There is minimal interference, meaning that almost any metal detector can do the job. However, you should consider getting a weatherproof machine that can withstand water splash or even a waterproof one.
One thing you should not negotiation is the coil and shaft – they should be 100% waterproof. You might also want to get a coil cover that can allow the loop to withstand scraping from rugged terrain and river rocks.
Consider the following metal detector if you want to hunt in freshwater:
9. Garrett AT Max Metal Detector
Garrett AT Max is a follow-up to the Garrett AT Pro but did not come to replace the latter. It only improves the features of the AT Pro to make it among the top metal detectors in the world.
The detector offers hundreds of features, as you can find out from this review.
Garrett AT Max Features
- Simple Design: It is a very-low-frequency metal detector that resembles the AT Pro. The machine weighs less than four pounds to ensure that you carry it for hours without getting tired.
- Battery-Powered: The detector is powered by 4x AA batteries that can provide service for hours. You can replace the cells when they get drained without a hassle.
- Waterproof Detector: You can submerge this detector up to 10-feet. That means it is the perfect machine for finding treasures in shallow water, streams, and shorelines. Note that the headphones are not waterproof.
- 6kHz Frequency: The high frequency combines with circuitry and components to provide you an excellent detector that can find all targets. You can find coins, jewelry, and relics around freshwater using this detector.
- True All-Metal Mode: Another notable feature is the true all-metal search mode; it is not present in the AT Pro. It allows your metal detector to do a great job of finding treasures.
- Digital Target ID: There is a large LCD panel that displays the numerical target ID with a scale of 0-99. You get a clear visual representation of the target without digging it out.
- Iron Discrimination: The AT Max provides up to 44 iron discrimination segments, which is higher than the 40 found in the AT Pro. You can adjust the setting to disable or enable ferrous materials when looking for coins, jewelry, and other treasures.
- Notch Discrimination: You can select or knock out some notch to enjoy more precise hunting.
- Search Modes: The detector comes with Custom and Coin modes to let you choose your preferred pattern.
- Pulse Width Modulation Audio: It provides more information about the treasure.
- Iron Audio: You can also switch on the iron audio to known when to ignore the trash.
- Z-lynk wireless technology
- Auto and manual ground balance
- Adjustable length from 43-inch to 56-inch
- Threshold adjustments and electronic pinpointing mode
- Has eight sensitivity levels
- Perfect for all terrains and submersible
- Bright LCD and lightweight design
- Easy to use
- Provides clear sound
- Not quite versatile compared to multi-frequency model
10. Fisher 1280X-8 Metal Detector
Fisher 1280X-8 is a deep-seeking, submersible metal detector that provides auto turn-on operation. It is the right model for freshwater and saltwater operation, and you can use it to look for treasures on land.
There have been metal detectors reviews that have looked at this product, and this one looks at its main features.
Fisher 1280X-8 Features
- Very Low Frequency: It is a technology that allows you to use the metal detector in multiple terrains. You can take it on dry land, freshwater, saltwater, or any other location.
- Converts to Belt Mount: The feature gives you the freedom to mount your metal detector the way you feel comfortable. That gives you comfort when hunting metal for a prolonged duration.
- Submersible: It is a waterproof metal detector that you can submerge up to 250 feet. The product was designed to provide divers with a device that they can take underwater.
- Adjustable Sensitivity Control: You can adjust the sensitivity to match your hunting ground and eliminate trash signals.
- Visual Target Response: The feature allows you to see the target you find on the ground. You get an excellent picture of what you can find when you dig out the treasure.
- Audio Response: The visual response is further enhanced by the audio response that provides you with different tones for different metals.
- 24 Months Warranty: It covers labor and parts and can provide you with confidence when using your detector in various terrains.
- Lightweight Design: Another notable feature is the lightweight design, weighing about 6.6 pounds. You can use the detector for hours without getting tired.
- Use 8x AA Batteries: They can allow you to look for treasure for up to 75 hours. The metal detector has a battery test mode that can notify you of the time left before they run dry.
- Collapsible Assembly: You can collapse the pole to allow for more convenient transportation and storage.
- Removable Control Housing: The housing also plays a vital role in allowing you to carry the detect with ease.
- 4kHz Operating Frequency: It is the ideal frequency for finding coins, relics, and other treasures.
- The package includes an arm strap
- Visual and audio target response
- Auto turn-on-and-go metal detector
- Requires 8x AA batteries
- Operating time of up to 75 hours
- Submersible up to 250 feet
- Battery test mode
- Up to 2-year warranty
- 10-inch or 8-inch concentric round open search coil
- Belt-mount attachment
- No manual ground balance feature
Metal Detectors for Saltwater
Saltwater places, like beaches, can be quite rewarding when looking for treasures, but they come with their unique challenges. The average Very Low-Frequency detector might handle the salty condition, but it lacks the Pulse Technology present in professional metal detectors for saltwater.
They often remove the endless chatter that you would experience with a standard metal detector. A saltwater detector should also provide you with the freedom of diving or submerging it in water.
It should also have a rugged body made of rust-free material because saltwater can damage your detector. That means you should consider choosing a product that can overcome all these issues.
You might consider picking the following machine:
11. Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II is a detector that can allow you to dive into the sea and look for treasures. It provides you with all the features of top rated metal detectors and is ideal for wet sand detecting.
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Features
- Pulse Induction Technology: PI is the ideal technology for detectorists wishing to look for treasures in saltwater. It provides deep soil penetration and allows you to pick the tiniest of targets when buried in mineralized grounds.
- Discrimination Modes: A PI detector can struggle to discriminate the different metals in the ground. That is why this detector comes with discrimination modes, which are Discrete and Standard Trash Elimination.
- Standard Mode: It helps you to remove signals from pool conductive targets while retaining the coins, jewelry, and relics alerts. The setting also helps to pinpoint the precise location of the object.
- Discrete Mode: The setting is ideal for places with lots of trash. It helps to remove pull tabs signals without affecting your target’s one.
- Submersible: Another notable feature is the waterproofness of this metal detector. You can submerge it up to 200 feet in the water to look for all treasures.
- Waterproof Accessories: The package includes waterproof headphones, and the jack is also waterproof. Its control box boasts a double O-ring seal as well as the battery compartment.
- 22 Frequencies: Sea Hunter offers multiple, adjustable frequencies of 750 pulses per second or 7.5kHz. You can adjust the rates manually to ensure that you fine-tune your detector to meet the desired condition.
- Sensitivity and Depth Trade-Offs: The given frequencies allow you to choose the best sensitivity and depth. That means you set to match your target’s goal and hunting area.
- Versatile Assembly: You can adjust the length of the machine from 28-inch to 52-inch. It also enables you to assemble it in four ways: hip, short, long, or full-length mount.
- Pulse induction technology
- Standard and discrete operating modes
- User-adjustable elimination/discrimination
- Adjustable audio threshold
- Waterproof design
- Ideal weight and balance
- Multiple mounting options
- Submersible headphones
- No ground balance feature
Metal Detector for Kids
The adult metal detectors are bulky for kids’ use. That means you need to get a machine that your child can lift and use without getting tired.
With that said, you need to note that there is a difference between a metal detector for kids and toy detectors. A toy is just a toy.
Kids metal detectors can find real treasure and are lightweight and easy to read. You can find a decent model for about $100.
Also, note there are detectors for every age ground, including 4-8 years, 9-16 years, and so on. Here is the world’s best metal detector for kids:
12. Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D
Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D comes with some decent features when you consider it is a kid’s machine. There are hundreds of things that your kid would like, as outlined here.
Bounty Hunter Junior T.I.D Features
- Fun Faces: They let your young detectorist to decide whether to dig out the treasure or leave the trash. The faces make it possible for kids to interpret the result without reading anything.
- Discrimination Feature: It is a simple feature that your child can turn on or off with the touch of a button. That enables the detectorists to eliminate trash signals like nails.
- Super Lightweight: Your child should use a lightweight metal detector, and that is what you get when you choose this unit. It weighs 1.1 pounds, which is light enough for all kids.
- Small Search Coil. The machine comes with a 6-inch search loop that is the ideal length for kids.
- Adjustable Length: You can vary the length from 19-inch to 31-inch. That means your child can grow with the metal detector for many years.
- Three Target Identification: These are ring and desirable targets, coins and valuables, and iron.
- Battery Strength Indicator: Your kid can tell when the machine is about to run out of power.
- 6kHz: The frequency does a great job of finding most treasures, like coins, jewelry, and others.
- Easy to Use: The metal detector was designed to allow ease of use to suit the kids. That is possible because it comes with minimal features and lots of graphics.
- Affordable: It is an affordable metal detector for kids.
- Lightweight, ergonomic design
- Three target ID categories
- Discrimination control for removing trash
- Graphic target depth indicator
- Battery life indicator
- Easy to use
- Lightweight in design
- Favorable operating frequency
- Made to last
- For six years old and under
Metal Detector Buying Guide
The most critical purchase you can ever make when venturing into the world of treasure hunting is the metal detector. Whether you are an expert or hobbyist, you might need some help to pick the right unit for your need.
What are those factors that you should consider when buying your metal detector? They include:
- Your Purpose
The first thing is to know what you want to achieve with your metal detector. Do you want to become a professional treasure hunter or a hobbyist?
There are products for every person, with professional detectors being more expensive. You can also find metal detectors for beginners, intermediates, and experts.
Besides, know whether you want to keep the treasure you find or sell them.
- Your Budget
You should always have a set budget before you decide to buy any product. The vital thing to know here is whether the set budget is for purchasing only the metal detector or even other accessories.
Set aside enough cash for buying the detector, gloves, boots, digging tools, covers, and pouches. You also need to know the features you desire in your device when setting the budget.
Can you adapt to the latest technology without a hassle? The essential operation of a metal detector is easy to understand, and you can head to the hunting grounds immediately.
However, some metal detectors provide advanced technology that can require you to make some complicated adjustments. You should also consider your detecting level when deciding the kind of technology to choose from when buying your detector.
- Educate Yourself
You should not just head to the market and pick a metal detector without knowing what it is all about. Know about the language used by metal detector stores, technical terms, and specifications.
You will have an idea of what to look for and the different types of detectors in the market. You also get to learn how each of the metal detectors can perform under different conditions.
- The Detectorists
Another factor is the person who will use the metal detector. Is it a grownup or a child? Is the user experience or a beginner?
There are metal detectors made for kids, and others are recommended for grownups. Kids require devices that they can carry for hours without getting tired and be easy to control.
- Types of Metal Detectors
There are several brands, types, and models of metal detectors on the market today. The market is also flooded with hundreds of brands.
It can be hard to pick the best if you do not know the one to choose. We have looked at types of metal detectors and brands in the next sections of this review.
- Peace of Mind
The metal detector you choose should give you peace of mind when using it. That means getting a product that is lightweight and comfortable to use.
It should also provide simple features that you can manage without seeking help.
How We Picked the Best Metal Detector
It is hard to say that one metal detector is better than the other, although there are several stand-out detectors in different categories. So, which criteria did we use when evaluating the metal detectors in our review?
We examined the following factors:
- Weight: Our products list contains lightweight metal detectors that you can use for hours without getting fatigued. We even have a kids’ machine that is comfortable for young users.
- Size: We also considered the size when picking the different detectors in our review. They are compact machines that provide comfort for the user and are ideal for most detectorists.
- Ergonomics: The other criteria we used when picking these devices is the ergonomics. Some of the metal detectors in the list can be adjusted to suit your needs while others provide multiple mounting options.
- Ease of Use: We have metal detectors for beginners and professionals to ensure that you find a model you can use with ease. They are products with simple features and others with advanced ones, but they all provide you with an easy time when detecting.
- Durability: We all need durable metal detectors that can pay their cost by lasting for decades. Our list only contains machines that have been shown to take a lot of beating and continue to function efficiently.
- Reliability: Our reliability criteria involves how well the detector performs. The above products are efficient when used on the right hunting grounds, and their batteries can provide service for hours.
- Price Point: The other thing that we considered when picking the detectors on the list is the price. You can find an affordable model and an expensive one – they meet all detectorists standards.
- Warranty: You should always aim to buy a metal detector with a long term warranty. We ensured that all our products offer a guarantee, with some proving a five-year warranty.
- Customer Ratings: Customer rating is a vital consideration because it shows how well users are satisfied. The 12 metal detectors in our review have at least a 3.9 star, indicating they are top-quality.
- Customer Reviews: Another criterion we used is the customer reviews as they show the positives and negatives of the detectors. The products in this review contain a lot of positive reviews.
- Weatherproofing: We have reviewed weatherproof metal detectors that can allow you to hunt in shallow water, but not diving. They can also enable you to find treasure when it is raining.
- Waterproofing: Our freshwater and saltwater metal detectors are waterproof and can allow some form of submersion. These products have waterproof search coils, a control box, and a shaft. Some even have waterproof headphones.
- Brand: We also choose metal detectors from the top brands in the industry. These are manufacturers with a reputation for proving quality machines that can last for years.
- Treasures Find: We have included metal detectors that can detect different types of treasures like coins, jewelry, relics, and gold.
- Hunting Ground: We have detectors that can hunt on dry land, in seawater, in freshwater, around rocks, and other places.
Types of Metal Detectors
You can find the following types of metal detectors on the market today:
1. Very Low-Frequency Detectors
Most detectorists use very Low Frequency because they provide a simple but advanced technology. They offer two wire coils, one acting as the transmitter and the other the receiver.
The transmitter produces magnetic fields with low frequency and sends them into the ground. The receiver helps to collect magnetic fields from the treasures in the ground.
These detectors produce a sound when there is a treasure in the ground. Very Low-Frequency detectors have electrical circuit called tuners – they send signals to the receivers of the unit.
The detectors can allow you to filter signals from treasures from those of trash material.
2. Pulse Induction Detectors
These detectors provide more depth coverage into the ground when looking for gold, relics, and other treasures. They come with a single-coil that helps to transfer the magnetic field into the surface.
The detectors change modes to help you when listening for the treasures’ signal. They are also excellent at distinguishing between real and false signals when detecting.
A Pulse Induction metal detector is costlier than a Very Low-Frequency model.
3. Other Types of Metal Detectors
There are other types of metal detectors that you can find out there. They include:
- Beat-Frequency Oscillation Metal Detectors: They are found in electronic stores and can find items resting 2-foot in the ground. These models use copper rolled on a ring made of iron or steel.
- Industrial Metal Detectors: You cannot use these detectors to find treasures. They are security tools.
Metal Detector Search Coil Guide
There are dozens of things you should know about metal detector search coils. Here you will learn all about these vital parts of a detector.
1. Coil Size
The coil size can affect the sensitivity and the depth of your metal detector. A large coil tends to detect deeper, but it loses sensitivity when finding small objects.
A small coil offers the best sensitivity, but it loses when it comes to depth. Such a loop is also lightweight, easy to control, and can navigate difficult terrains with ease.
The small coins are recommended for detecting objects in high trash areas.
2. Coil Shape
You can find three primary coils when it comes to the shape. These are the Open-Web Coils, the Elliptical Shaped Coils, and the solid Round Coils.
The different shapes allow you to hunt on various grounds, as follows:
- Elliptical Coils are ideal for finding treasures around bushes and rocks.
- Open-Web Coils are perfect for cutting through the water when looking for metal underwater. These coils are light.
- Conventional Round Coils perform better and are more stable than the two models. They help to find gold.
3. Coil Configurations
You can find a Monoloop, Double-D (DD), and Concentric Coils. The difference between these coils is the pattern or how the wire is wounded.
- Concentric Coil: It has an outer and inner circle wire winding. It provides a cone-shaped search pattern and helps to pinpoint the precise location of the target. Such a coil is noisier on grounds with lots of minerals and requires you to overlap your search area.
- Double-D Coil: It features two overlapping wires winding that resemble a reversed D. It is stable in the mineralized area, provides better search pattern, depth, and sensitivity.
- Monoloop Coil: It has a single wire wound on the circumference and is perfect for Pulse Induction detectors. It provides better depth but can be hard to ground balance in mineralized areas.
How Metal Detectors Work
Why does a metal detector buzz or produce a tone when there is a metal buried in the ground? Why should you keep your metal detecting in moving when finding treasure?
- A metal detector uses batteries (located on the top) to activate a transmitter circuit, and that transfers electricity down the cable (located in the handle) to the transmitter search coil (located at the bottom).
- When that current flows via the search coil, it generates a magnetic current or field.
- When the detector passes over a metallic material (like an old coin), the field penetrates the metal.
- It then creates another electric current that flows inside that target.
- The current in the metal then produces another magnetic field or current that gets into the receiver coil.
- The field generates an electric current in the receiver and flows up to the receiver circuit.
- The receiver circuit produces an alert, such as a buzz, a sound, or any other tone.
Things to Note:
- Battery: It provides the power needed by your metal detector.
- Control box: It holds the metal detector’s electronics. The transmitted signal is created, and the received one is processed and interpreted here.
- Search Coil: It transfers the magnetic field into the surface and receives the one generated by the target.
- Magnetic Field: The transmitted one is often blue, received one yellow, and the response if usually green. The color can change from detector to detector.
Why You Need Pinpointer When Metal Detecting
A pinpointer is an accessory that can enable you to narrow your search area where the treasure is located. That makes it easier to get your target, and it can enhance your hunt as follows:
- You Save Time: Searching for coins, jewelry, and gold can take time when metal detecting. It includes digging a hole, finding the small treasure in that hole, and maybe in the removed dirt, and then refilling the hole. A pinpointer enables you to dig close to the target.
- You Save Energy: Knowing where the treasure is located can ensure that you spend minimal energy digging and squatting. These are two areas of treasure hunting that can tire you quickly. It can even be hard when digging in places with roots and rocks.
- You Reduce the Risk of Damaging the Treasure: You can be careful when digging the treasure if you know where it is located. It is a benefit that relics detectorists can enjoy.
- You Can Find Treasures During the Night: Most pinpointers come with an LED light that lets you hunt during the night. You do not need to light a torch or any other gadget to see your search field.
Top Five Metal Detector Brands
Metal detectors are long-term investments that you should buy from the best brands in the industry. You should consider buying from a company with a long reputation and positive feedbacks from previous buyers.
Our metal detector review is made up of five brands, and here is their short review.
1. XP Metal Detectors
XP has been operating in France since 1998, and it designs and produces high-quality metal detectors for all detectorists. It is known for being innovative and has become the standard among enthusiasts.
XP’s detectors are designed to suit users’ needs and combine ergonomics, selectivity, and power to give you a balanced product.
2. Fisher Labs Metal Detectors
Fisher Lab started over five decades ago and has developed into a global brand with partners all over the world. It prides itself on providing quality metal detectors, with at least half of them originating from the Fisher Labs manufacturing center.
The company provides you with a guarantee of enjoying quality detectors that last for years.
3. Garrett Metal Detectors
Garrett started to market and sell detectors in 1964 and has continued to focus on proving fairy priced products. The brand values the clients, and that is why it continues to advance its gadgets to include customers’ feedback.
4. Minelab Metal Detectors
Minelab detectors are made to allow you to discover gold, relics, jewelry, and other treasures. The brand has over 35 years of experience and continues to embrace the challenge of all terrains and serve over 150 countries.
5. Bounty Hunter Metal Detectors
Bounty Hunter is a brand that provides entry-level and intermediate metal detectors. It is popular with beginner detectorists and is owned by First Texas Products – the same company that owns Teknetic and Fisher.
Metal Detectors Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Our team gets hundreds of questions about metal detectors, and here are answers to some of the queries.
How Much Does a Good Metal Detector Cost?
Metal detector ranges in price from under $100 to over $1500. A decent entry-level model can cost you around $150, while a professional one can see you coughing over $2000.
What is the Perfect Frequency for Metal Detecting?
Metal detectors often use a middle range frequency to give you a product that can find almost all treasures. They often vary from 6kHz to 8kHz to provide you with decent sensitivity and depth.
Some products allow you to set the frequency manually to meet your hunting ground and needs. Others offer multiple wavelengths at a go.
Why Do Detectorists Use Headphones?
Headphones can minimize outside noises like traffic, waves, and wind to enable you to hear the signal. They can also improve the audio treasure signal, which can allow you to figure out the treasure in the ground.
A decent pair of headphones can make you find more treasure compare to using the in-built speaker. They also prolong your hunting session because they extend the battery life.
How Deep Can a Metal Detector Detect a Target?
A standard good quality metal detector can enable you to find coin-sized treasures about 6-10-inch in the ground. However, that depends on different factors like the metal detector, hunting ground, and others.
What Does Metal Detectors Sensitivity Mean?
Sensitivity is the ability of a detector to find a specific size and type of metal in the ground. A metal detector with an excellent sensitivity can detect small items lying deep in the field.
Metal detectors always try to find the right balance between sensitivity and depth.
Why Does a Metal Detector Beep Continuously?
Some metal detectors beep when the battery gets low and start to malfunction. Check the battery level if you begin to hear these beeps and replace it or them.
Does a Metal Detector Provide Value? Should I Buy a Metal Detector?
A metal detector can enable you to find a lot of treasures, although there are days you will not find anything. But during the prosperous days, you can make a lot of money selling treasures.
It is worth every penny and can give you a fun hobby.
What Metals Can a Metal Detector NOT Detect?
One metal that a metal detector cannot locate is stainless steel because it offers low magnetic permeability and is a poor conductor of electricity. That means it does not produce signals that can be picked by your metal detector.
How Can I Improve My Metal Detector Power?
You can make your metal detector powerful by keeping your swing distance short. That means you get better control of your device and lift the search coil for fewer times.
Finding the best metal detector can be tiring if you do not know the right model for your needs. We have outlined a review of the top 12 products for various categories. There is also a complete guide for choosing metal detectors.