All metal detectorists should own the best metal detecting digging tools for the job if they want to succeed in treasure hunting. You might not have an idea of the features to look for if you have never used these tools.
Luckily, we have provided a buying guide that can help you pick the right tool among the thousands in the market. But before that, we have a review of the top nine digging tools that you can get for your metal detecting activities.
We will start by looking at a preview of our top pick and then dive into the review of the top nine digging tools.
Top 9 Metal Detecting Digging Tools Reviews
Go through the digging tools in this review to find the right one for your metal detecting needs. They are quality items that have been selected based on affordability, effectiveness, and brand reputation.
1. Radius Garden 22011 Root Slayer Shovel
Radius Garden 22011 is a multi-purpose tool that you can use as a gardening and metal detecting shovel. It has an unusual design feature with a pointed end that helps to cut through the soil. The root slayer shovel offers the following:
- Efficient Cutting: The tool has teeth on each side facing the same direction to enable efficient cutting. These teeth make the Garden 22011 a more efficient accessory than a standard saw.
- Wide Step: It comes with a broad step that you can step on comfortably when driving it downward. That allows for your whole body weight to rest on the shovel to push it deep in the ground.
- Ergonomic Handle: The tool has a patented round grip to provide 4x the gripping ability than a traditional D-shaped handle. It is known as the “Natural Radius O-Handle Grip.”
- Padded Handle: The handle is made of polypropylene material that is covered by a non-latex, thermoplastic elastomer. That gives you an excellent grip that does not strain your wrist and hands.
- Stiff Shaft: It is made secure by a steel tube that runs inside the shovel from the handle to the top of the cutting blade. You get a tool with additional strength, besides the shovel’s outer shaft.
- Serrated shovel designed for reducing stress on your…
- Digging shovel with V-shaped cutting tip to easily rip…
- Garden digging shovel with durable powder-coated carbon…
- 5-inch tall, 3.5-inch wide, and 10.5-inch blade
- 5mm thick blade
- Weighs 5-pound
- More dirt-holding ability than standard shovels
- Certified to be 150% stronger than most shovels
- An affordable metal detecting digging shovel
- Has an ergonomic handle
- Easily rips through roots
- Reinforced shaft with steel
- Wide step for adding pressure
- The weight can be a little heavy for some detectorists
2. ROOT ASSASSIN RA-002 Carbon Steel Shovel
ROOT ASSASSIN is a top metal detecting digger that comes with lots of quality features to make your adventure easy. It is not a standard gardening shovel, as you can find from this review.
- Enhanced Bone Structure: The first thing you find when you choose this tool is the metallurgically improved bone structure. It makes it the right tool for digging soft soil, weeds, and roots when unearthing your treasure.
- Sturdy Handle: Another notable feature is the sturdy handle that lets you dig deep into hard ground without breaking. It is also, just like the blade, resistance to rust and corrosion to ensure that it lasts for decades.
- Ergonomic D-Shape Handle: The handle is also coated with solid rubber material that provides you with comfort when holding the shovel. You can also spot the shovel from a distance as it comes with a bright red color on the handle.
- Patented Teeth: It comes with patented teeth that allow you to take out roots and other material that might be on the ground. The serrated edges are strategically placed to enable simple digging and pulling.
- Pointed Tip: The tip plays a vital role as it allows easy penetration on the ground when you apply pressure. You can drive the shovel to the surface by stepping on the broad step on the blade.
- The Root Assassin serrated shovel can help you…
- The Root Assassin serrated shovel saw can effortlessly…
- There is a sturdy D-shaped metal handle that is rubber…
- Digging shovels with a pointed tip
- Brand guarantees lifetime replacement of the carbon steel shovel
- 32-inch make it the right tool fort metal detecting
- Provides 16 serrated steel teeth on each side
- Weighs 2.2 pounds
- Lightweight detector digger
- Built to last for years
- One-piece construction
- Able to clear roots
- Often leads to back strain
3. Garrett Edge Digger
The Garrett Edge Digger comes with a sheath for mounting around the belt and is made for metal detectorists. It is the best digging tool for metal detecting that is not in the shovel class.
- Great Blade: It is a rock-solid blade that can dig through the hard ground to ensure that you reach your treasure. The blade is also thick enough to be reliable and thin enough to penetrate small cracks on the surface.
- Sturdy Handle: The digger features a sturdy handle that is attached to the digging blade. That handle ensures that the module does not move around when you are digging hard grounds.
- Rubber Gripping: Another notable thing is the rubber gripping that helps to separate the blade and the handle. The rubber part lets you hold your Garrett Digger comfortable and avoid accidents that can occur from slipping.
- Sawed Teeth: They allow you to carry minimal tools when going metal hunting as they act like a saw. You can use them to cut through roots, instead of digging around these materials.
- Sheath: The sheath protects the blade from the water and other environmental material that can result in rusting. It also makes it easy to carry the Garrett Edge Digger around even when going for other activities like hiking.
- Belt Mount: It gives you the freedom to mount your digger on the belt.
- Product Type: Outdoor Living
- Package Dimensions: 7.112 L X 7.874 W X 31.242 H (Cm)
- Made From High Quality Materials
- Product measures 12.3 x 3.5 x 2.9 inches
- Comes from the Garrett Metal Detector brand
- Weighs around one pound
- Has two warranty
- Rustproof detecting digger
- Lightweight design
- Able to mount on the belt
- Has a sturdy handle
- Rubber grip often separate from the handle
4. Lesche Sampson Pro-Series Shovel
You cannot go wrong with the Lesche Sampson Pro-Series when looking for the best metal detecting shovel. It is a long-handle tool that can enable you to dig all kinds of treasures, including relics and coins.
- Versatility: The shovel is marketed as the ideal tool for metal detectorists looking for effortless treasure digging adventure. It is versatile because it enables you to not only dig but also cut via tough ground with clay, roots, and rocky soils.
- T-Shaped Handle: A vital feature of this tool is the T-shaped handle – it is comfortable to hold for hours. The design allows you to maintain the perfect grip while experiencing less fatigue during use. T-shape also allows for easy hanging when storing.
- Compact and Lightweight: The tool’s weight is less than 2-pound, making it a lightweight shovel that you can use for hours. It is also smaller than most digging devices on the market today and provides better weight balance.
- High-Quality Construction: It is made of heat-treated alloy steel that adds strength and durability to the digging shovel. The material is rustproof to give you years of services eve when you dig at the beach and shallow rivers.
- Non-Interferences: The accessory is made to stay out of the metal detector to prevent any interference. That is possible because it is made of alloy steel and is compact.
- Length: 31″overall
- Blade dimensions: 7 1/2″ long x 4″ wide
- Blade style: pre-sharpened edge for cutting
- Blade measures 7.5-inch long x 4-inch wide
- The overall length of 31-inch
- Made of quality alloy steel
- Comes with a pre-sharpened edge for easy cutting
- Weighs 1.75 pounds
- Has a T-shape handle for comfortable usage
- Made of rustproof material
- Able to cut through roots
- A compact shovel
- No saw-like edges
5. Lesche Standard Digging Tool & Sod Cutter
Metal detecting digging tools should easily cut through grass, dirt, and roots, and that is what Lesche Standard Digging Tool & Sod Cutter does. It serrated on the right side and sharpened on the other to allow effective treasure hunting.
- Double-Edged Digger: As noted, it is a double-edged tool that offers a saw touch on one side and a blade on the other. That makes it the perfect digger to cut through roots, tuff grass, and dirt to leave your treasure exposed.
- Rubber Grip Handle: The rubber adds to the user comfort as it allows you to use the digger for hours without straining your hands. There is also a handguard plate that prevents your hand from slipping to the blade.
- Multi-Purpose Tool: It is the right tool for metal detectorists who want to retrieve their treasure fast. You can also use this accessory for camping, landscaping, and nursery, giving you value for money.
- Belt Holder: The holder lets you mount your tool on your belt for easy carrying and retrieval when you want to use it. Another important use of this holder is to keep your digger clean and away from the environment.
- Made of Durable Material: It is made of chrome-moly steel that provides the tool with durability and strength. That means you can have confidence; it does not rust even when you use it around beaches.
- Ideally suited for nursery, landscaping, camping and…
- Blade length of 7-Inch, width of 1 3/4-Inch
- Comes with handy belt holder
- Ideal for metal detecting, camping, landscaping, and nursey
- Has a useful belt holder
- Made in the United States of America
- Blade measures 7-inch long and 1¾-inch wide
- Able to cut most materials
- A lightweight digger
- Long-lasting tool
- Easy to carry around
- A bit expensive
6. Radius Garden 22311 Root Slayer Nomad
Radius Garden 22311 is an award-winning digging tool that can help you to remove all the roots in your hunting ground. It can end your search for treasure hunting digging shovels as it comes with quality features, as seen here:
- Compact Size: It is a compact accessory that you can use to dig small spaces to find those coins, relics, and jewelry. The small size makes it possible to carry the root slayer around.
- Multi-Purpose Tool: You can use this tool for gardening, finding treasures, and other activities. That provides you with value for money as you only need a single device to do all the chores.
- Wide Step: Another great thing is the wide step that enables you to add pressure when sticking in the ground. You can quickly drive it through hard fields and roots.
- Ergonomic Polypropylene Grip: The grip is well-designed to add comfort and make your hunting session more relaxing. It is also well-attached to prevent it from getting out of the shaft.
- Made of Durable Material: The shaft is made of carbon steel coated with resin and non-latex grips. Its blade of made of carbon steel that is covered with powder to prevent rust.
- Easy to Maintain: You only need to clean the shovel after every hunt to ensure that it remains in good condition.
- Serrated trowel with an inverted V-shaped cutting tip…
- Small gardening shovel at 70% the size of the original…
- Small digging shovel with a blade made of powder-coated…
- Serrated trowel that offers an inverted V-shaped cutting tip
- Recommended for small spaces, raised surfaces, and campgrounds
- The non-latex grip that offers comfort
- Weighs 2.7 pounds
- Measures 39 x 2.75 x 7.5 inches
- Made of rust-free materials
- Has an ergonomic handle
- Easy to maintain
- Lightweight design
- Handle breaks if you drop the shovel
7. SE Prospector’s Choice 12” Serrated Edge Digger
The right metal detecting tools should perform a variety of tasks to ensure that you spend less when metal detecting. SE Prospector’s Choice is a multi-purpose model that comes with notable features, as seen here:
- Durable Material: It is made of heat-treated carbon steel that gives it the stability to dig through hard soils, roots, and concrete. The material also allows for serrated and straight edges for cutting through various grounds.
- Oversized Grip: Another great feature is the oversize grip that provides you comfort to use your digger for long. It also has a handguard that prevents your hand from slipping to the sharp edges.
- Storage Sheath: You also get a sheath that you can use to store the metal detecting digger. The sheath also allows you to mount the tool on your belt for easy retrieval.
- Multi-Purpose Tool: The serrated edge helps you to perform multiple tasks, including digging, cutting, excavating treasures, and other gardening needs.
- Lightweight Construction: You should always aim to find a lightweight tool to ensure that you use it for hours without getting fatigued. The accessory weighs around 15 ounces, which is ultra-light.
- 12″ serrated edge digger is the perfect companion for…
- Material: heat treated carbon steel
- Serrated edges cut clean and deep plugs
- Oversized comfortable grip
- Serrated edges for deep plugs and clean cut
- Made of heat-treated carbon steel
- Comes with a sheath for storing
- Has a 12-inch length
- For all detectorists
- Provides value for money
- Lightweight metal digger
- Provides clean cuts
- Can struggle in rocky places
8. Nokta Makro Premium Digger Tool
You should look for premium digging tools for metal detecting if you want to use them for years. That is what you get when you choose the Nokta Makro Premium Digger Tool, and here are its features:
- Black Belt Holster: One great feature of this tool is the black belt holster that enables you to keep it in place. It prevents the digger from getting lost when you are out in the filed looking for treasures.
- Capable Cutter: It is a tool that you can use to cut through hard soil and tough grass without using much energy. You can have certainty that you will always get your treasure out of the ground when you have this digger.
- Compact Digger: You do not need to add extra weight to your metal detecting arsenal, and that is what makes this digger an excellent tool. It is not just lightweight but also compact.
- Durable Blade: The blade is made of stainless steel material that can last longer even when you dig around water. It is 100% rustproof.
- Numbered Blade: There are numbers on the side to let you know how deep the digger has cut the service.
- Hand Guard: The guard prevents your hand from touching the sharp edges when cutting through the ground.
- Rubber handle: It comes with a comfortable rubber handle that can allow you to use the digger for hours without getting tired.
- Measures 12.95 x 4.02 x 2.8 inches
- Weighs 1.02 pounds
- The blade has a length of 7.5-inch
- The blade comes with side numbers
- Comes with an ergonomic rubber handle
- Ideal for cutting all grounds
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Can use for hours
- Perfect for digging treasures
- Handle often get out
9. Radius Garden 202 PRO
Radius Garden is a reputable brand that manufactures quality shovels for metal detecting like the 20201 Pro Garden. It is a quality model that comes with high-end features such as:
- Stainless Steel: The tool is made using modern stainless steel material to provide it with stability and durability. That makes it the right accessory to dig rocky soil, clay soil, and wet places.
- Durable Shaft: Its shaft is made of carbon steel encased in resin material to give you maximum reliability. You can also count on performance when you combine the blade and shaft.
- Thermoplastic Grip: The grip allows you to hold the handle for hours without straining your hand. Thermoplastic material provides durability to keep the handle in good condition.
- Lifetime Guarantee: You should buy this shovel from authorized dealers to ensure that you get this warranty. That lets you use the shovel without worrying it might break or corrode when you use it.
- Wide Step: You can step on the blade when driving it into the ground on either side of the shaft. That allows for easy usage, especially when you find treasures on hard grounds.
- Modern stainless steel shovel design that is sturdy…
- Durable blade that is made of stainless steel with…
- This lightweight and modern design to reduce hand…
- Weighs 5.07 pounds
- Measures 41.3 x 8.5 x 3.5 inches
- Designed for better grip
- All parts are made of durable material
- Slightly cupped blade
- Easy to use
- Offers value for money
- Comes in attractive color
- Lightweight in construction
- The tip is a bit blurred
Buying Guide Of Metal Detecting Digging Tools
The depth of the treasure and variances in soil type can affect the model and the best metal detector digging tool. But those are just some of the factors that you should consider when choosing your accessories.
Blade Sharpness and Design
Right-handed detectorists can use almost all models of digging tools on the market. That is not the case for left-handed ones; they need to choose a digger with a blade on the left and right sides.
The ground you intend to search for treasures can also determine the right blade design. Sharpness is not critical when hunting on soft land, and shorter tools can do an excellent job.
You will have an easier time if you choose a sharper and longer digger when hunting in hard, rocky, and rough terrains.
The perfect handle grip can make digging faster and easier and leads to less damage on the ground. It also provides you with comfort to allows you to continue hunting for hours.
An ergonomic grip can also enable you to carry your tool around with ease. Make sure that you choose a digging tool with a sturdy handle.
You want a well-balanced metal detecting digging tool that you can carry with ease and penetrate the ground without applying a lot of force. Digging knife is perfect because you can mount it on your belt.
There are also lightweight shovels that you can carry.
Corrosion and Rust Resistance
You might need to dig treasures from wetlands or underwater. It is critical to choose diggers that are made of rust-free material like stainless steel.
That way, you can have a digging tool that can give you service for years without rusting.
You should also consider your budget when buying a digging tool. The cheapest tools might break when you use them for the first time.
Types of Digging Tools
You also need to consider the type of digging tool when picking the right accessory for your need. Here you can find digging knives, trowels, and shovels.
Types Of Metal Detector Digging Tools
You need to pick the right metal detector digging tool for the environment or location you want to find and recover treasures. These accessories come in different categories, as you can find here.
- Metal Detecting Knives: The first type of digging tool you find for metal detecting is the treasure hunting knife. It is an excellent tool for cutting plugs of dirt to allow quick treasure recovery.
- Metal Detecting Trowels: The next class of your detector’s arsenal is the metal detecting trowels. These items are made of hardened stainless steel material, unlike the traditional garden diggers. They come in different widths and lengths to suit your needs.
- Metal Detecting Shovels: Another category is the shovels, which are recommended for detectorists retrieving treasures in the wood. They are the right tools if you intend to look for relics.
You can choose from a verity of digging tools, but that is not enough. It is advisable to get the following three types of metal detector digging and retrieval tools.
- Sand Scoops: They are a must-have tool if you intend to hunt treasures at the beach or other areas with sand. They come in three categories, which are the Short-Handle Scoop, the Medium-Handle Scoop, and the Long-Handle Scoop. You use the latter one to recover treasures underwater.
- Probes: They are recovery tools that enable you to feel the treasure’s location before you begin to dig. Probes ensure that you remove the soil without damaging your find.
- Pinpointers: They speed your recovery process and allow for accurate digging. You should consider choosing a pinpointer that can provide you with the accuracy you desire.
You need to choose the metal detecting digging tool that matches your hunting ground to have a successful adventure.
Metal Detector Digging Method
New hobbyists can benefit from reading different guides and books of metal detecting when it comes to digging out the treasures the right way. With that said, no one method can be said to be the best.
Below we have provided you with the most used digging method: Flap or Sod Square-Shaped Plug Method of Digging. The technique requires you to use a tool with inch marks, serrated edges, and a flat top.
Follow these steps:
- Pinpoint the location of the treasure and cut three sides around it for about 4-inch. That should create a square with one side untouched.
- Use your digging tool to lift the sod – you expose the hole. Note that the flap is still attached to the ground from the uncut side.
- Use your handheld probe to pinpoint the precise location of the treasure inside the hole. You might need to dig deeper to find the treasure or even see it inside the flap.
- Place any dirt your dig near the hole – you can place it on a sheet of plastic or towel.
- Retrieve your treasure – coin, jewelry, gold, relic, or other.
- Dump the loose soil inside the hole, and then replace the sod. It would help if you stepped on it.
Note: You can choose to dig a Square-Shaped, Half-Circle, V-Shaped, or Cone-Shaped hole.
Metal Detecting Digging Tools FAQs
Our experienced metal detectorists often face a lot of questions about metal detecting digging tools. We have listed these and more questions here:
Q: How Should I Dig a Plug or Sod?
A: It is vital to know how to dig a sod when retrieving your treasure to ensure that you do not destroy the ground. The best way is to cut straight down to keep the grass alive and the earth in good condition – do not cut at an angle.
Q: Which Tool is Used to Dig a Half-Circle During Metal Detecting?
A: A half-circle hole is dug using a shovelhead and helps you to see what is under the sod. The Half-Circle Digging Method is used when hunting on a hardened surface.
Q: Which Digging Method Provides a Wider Hole?
A: V-Shape Digging Method works on hard soils and allows you to get a widened hole that narrows as it goes deeper. It is easy to refill this hole, and you can find the treasure without much hassle.
Q: When Should I Use the Cone-Shape Digging Method?
A: A cone-shaped hole is more comprehensive than a V-shaped one and results in the broader mouth that allows easy retrieval of larger targets. The digging method is recommended for areas with soft soil or grass.
Q: When Should I Use the Square-Shaped Digging Method?
A: It is the commonly used digging method and allows you to look deeper into the hole. You can use this method when the soil is well-formed, and the surface is grassy.
Q: Which is the Best Digging Tool?
A: The best digging tool should be the right gear for digging the specific kind of ground you intend to look for treasures. It should be easy to use and allow you to drill deep holes with the least diameter possible.
Q: Which is the Best Digging Tool for Retrieving Relics?
A: You might need a more prominent tool to retrieve relics from the ground, like a shovel. A serrated shovel can allow you to dig out your treasure with ease and cause little disturbance to the ground.
Q: What Are Metal Detecting Etiquettes?
A: These are metal detecting and digging rules or courtesies that you should follow when enjoying this activity. For example, you should not trespass in other people’s properties.
However, most metal detectorists visit public places to find these treasures, and that means you should always refill the hole when you retrieve the treasure.
Metal detecting digging tools can enable you to retrieve your treasure, whether you are a professional or hobbyist detectorist. Cheap or inexpensive accessories might break when you drive them to the ground, so consider investing in these tools.